Thursday, August 28, 2008

I look in the mirror and I see...My dogs

These last few days I have been working the oh so dreaded day shifts. That means 3:30 am wake ups and dragging my ass out of bed and rolling into work for a full day of "serving the public". This morning the alarm went off and I was woken up to some oldies tune (the thought of waking up at that time to something with a beat may just cause too much anxiety). I roll out of bed unwillingly and as always is my faithful Rugby is at my side and Kona is at my feet. I am not a morning person by any means; 3:30 am is just downright not okay with me and what I find more amusing, is that neither do my dogs. 

I have only had Kona now 4 months and I have no idea what past he had before he made the trip up from Michigan. What i do know though is that he is in no way a morning dog! For that matter none of my dogs have ever been. Do they tolerate it?- yes maybe for the bowl of food waiting for them; do they like it? No. All it would take is the look of disgust on Kona's face looking up at me as if to say "are your frickin kidding me? its 3:30 am". He refuses to move that time of the morning, eventually after yell-whispering "Kona lets go" a few times he decides to move from his warm bed.

All my dogs past and present are very much like me in my habits, I guess there is some truth to the old saying your become like your mate. I ask a lot of my dogs with my long shifts, the ever changing schedule, the inconsistent feeding times, and the walks at all crazy times of day/night. I am ever so grateful that they are like me and think a day should start at 10:00 am, and the common nap is so underrated in today's society. I am so thankful that my dogs don't wake me up at 6:00 am every day because they want to be fed, or they decided its walk time. I'm more than okay with my easy, go with the flow, lazy companions sleeping beside me when the rest of the world is out discovering the day at the break of day, as I hit snooze for the 9th time.

One more early wake up Kona and then back to "normal" again... 

No comments: