Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stela and the rescue dogs

My best friend got a dog today, she was one of 23 dogs that were brought up from Ohio to save from their fate of death. The Cambridge Humane Society was the caring people responsible for saving her and 22 other lucky dogs. You can see in the pictures the delight on not only her face but that of Melanie's as they start their adventure together. 

I have been in the same spot Melanie is today, 3 times. I have adopted 3 rescue Rottweilers and know all too well that emotions that are synonymous with adopting a rescue. With a rescue dog you truly never know where thy came from or what you are getting. I have been so blessed with my 3 rescues that they have all been gems.

Sasha was my first in 1996- a 2 year old female; she never knew when her next meal was coming and was left alone for 16 hr days. She went on to win German titles in showing, and was a obedience champion. She was my first dog and will always be my little "lumpy".

Then in 2006 after I lost Sasha to a stroke, I rescued Rion, my blind boy. I had him only for one year before I lost him to Cancer, but, he gave me so much in such a short time. He taught me patience and although he was approx 50% blind, he had 150% heart and gentleness.

Now I have Kona, I speak a lot about my big boy and everyday I fall more in love with my King Kona. Each month the trust and personality grows, and the fears from his past life fade. I am grateful for all that my rescue dogs and adopted dogs have taught me. What little I give them with shelter, food, and belly pat, I can't put into words the unconditional love and warmth I get paid with daily. 

Good luck Melanie and "Stela" (means star in Latin) on your new adventure to a lifetime filled with learning, trust, bonding, and LOVE!!

There is no bond greater than that of a girl and her dog.

Sasha

                                         Rion                                   Kona

No comments: