Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Paws up to Rottweiler Rescues



I have rescued my fair share of Rottweilers through the years.
My first love Sasha was my first rescue, she is the one that opened my heart and eyes to the breed. I got this skinny little girl from the Woodstock Shelter because her owner was to busy to take care of her. Because of his being able to recognize that Sasha was not getting the attention she deserved, I lucked out and got the most fabulous dog ever! Sasha aka "lumpy" lived until she was 12.5 years old, until the day she was stricken with a stroke. That day was one of the most devastating days of my life to say goodbye to my best friend. Its been 2 years now and I still am filled with a lifetime of happy memories of my girl, and sadly I still grieve the loss of my little shadow. I am so lucky to have had my little black and tan girl in my life.

Since then I have had Starke, Rion, Jackson, Rugby (my lab and my only exception to the Rottie Rule) and now my Kona. All of these dogs have brought something different to my life and have filled my heart with love and laughter. I could not imagine my life without each of them. They have all left pawprints on my heart.

I know most people love puppies, however, all but 2 of my dogs (Starke and Rugby) have been adult dogs. Most people think older dogs don't bond and can't learn new tricks. Everyone of mine has bonded, and everyone has learned new tricks - Kona is the biggest momma suck ever in 6 short months.

The whole point of this babbling blog is to raise awareness to adopting an older dog. To give the ones that need a second chance the most. I have had the opportunity to meet 2 wonder ladies that fight for such dogs and rescue Rottweilers day in and day out. I have seen firsthand how these wonderful organizations take those lost souls and find them the deserving forever homes. Please consider the next time you or a friend wants a dog to look outside the box and into a rescue. I am forever grateful to these organizations for the special little black and tan angels I have crossed paths with.

Please check out these sites and if you think your know anyone that can open their hearts/ homes to such dogs pass it along.

Please also think of donations this time of year to such rescues. To often the animals are overlooked during Christmas time as we spend countless dollars on material things.

***Rottweiler Rescue of Michigan (in dire need of homes as the US recession is forcing people out of their homes and more Rotties into Shelters- they will adopt to Canada despite what website says)
https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/rottweiler.htm

***Ontario Adopt a Rott. Always in need of foster homes and supplies for the dogs.
http://www.adoptarott.com/

No comments: