Sunday, July 27, 2008

One Great Step

Today I went to a dog birthday party with my crew. At the bottom of the page you can see my two Rugby (lab) and Kona (Rottweiler), Rugby is my guide dog that was disqualified due to elbow dysplasia and she is going to be five (next week). Kona is my rescue that I saved from being gassed in an over crowded shelter in Michigan, he was next in line. I have only had Kona for 3 months and he has come so far in that short time. He was over weight, he had muscle atrophy from sitting in a small pen and not being exercised.

I have built Kona up in conditioning, cardio, and socially. He was badly abused by a male and is very shy around men. His exposure to other dogs was unknown. He came to me a very untrusting, sad, and an unhealthy boy. In 3 months i have been working hard with him to give him the loving safe home he deserves. About the party...

Today was Hogans birthday party. Kona and Rugby packed their presents and arrived at the bash, to meet other workmates, their families and pets. Kona impressed me so much because he not only took loving and pats from lots of men, but had a good day with the pups too. He met a Jack Russel, a Rottie cross, and an Australian Shepherd. This is Konas first big outing since i got him, where he was bombarded with lots of new human and fuzzy friends. One of the this big reasons i know he succeeded today because from day one in my care he's had the following:

1) love
2) obedience
3) boundaries
4) lots of exercise
5) lots of stimulation (external walks, runs, tasks)
6) Rugby his best friend
7) built trust between us through all the above CONGRATS KONA!!!!!

No comments: