Friday, October 24, 2008

Winterizing Your Pup

BAG BALM=OKAY


KONA + HAT=NOT OKAY



BRRRRRR Its getting chilly out there as you may have all noticed. First the warmer sweater, then the toque, and next thing you know it will be the parka and winter boots (I'm so not ready for that yet). We get to put on the layers but, what about your pal?. I have seen the undercoat on my two start to come in, the fur is a little fluffier and softer, and they don't want to dawdle so much on the night time backyard run. WINTER IS COMING ARGGGG!!!

So what to do with your pup to help them for the upcoming snow season? I am not an advocate of doggy coats and booties, I know there is a need for some dogs but, I refuse to put them on my crew. I can't look at my two dolled up and be okay with it. My guys usually fair well in the winter, I try to build them up to winter and do my best to protect them from the elements. That being said, whether there is a snow storm, or 2 feet of snow- my guys still go for their walks. They are walked briskly to warm up the joints before bounding in the snow banks, I make sure my guys drink a lot of water (yes dogs can be dehydrated in winter too), and I keep them moving the whole outdoor session.

The biggest things to watch for come snow is the salt for de-icing the walkways. My rottweilers have always had a tough time with salt, more so than my lab. They crack their pads, and usually with the addition of "more salt to the wounds" per-say squeak in pain. My solution is to bag balm them. If you check out the picture above you see the cream meant for cows udders, It works wonders on softening the pads and making them more pliable and less prone to cracking. For about $10 you can bond with your dog with nightly foot rubs, and prevent the heart wrenching squeals from your pal. Watch out for "snowballs" that accumulate in the crease of the toes, it builds up like a little ice ball. Easy to fix just pick out with your fingers.

The more you let your dogs coat acclimatize to the elements the thicker it will come in (minus some of the smooth coat breeds- doberman, sighthounds, and those Paris Hilton under arm warmers). This undercoat will assist keeping the vital organs warm through the cold weather.

With every dog common sense in the winter months is a given, don't leave your dog outside for long periods of time in the sub zero temperatures. Provide fresh water (even though they have eaten their weight in snow), up their food intake if they are spending long periods of time bounding in the snow, and always check your dogs feet and pads for cracks and ice injuries.

Just like getting your car ready for winter and prepping it for the snow filled roads, ease your dog into winter the same way. There are some people who with their summer cars put them into garage, do the same with their dog- hibernate for the winter; the "fair weather walkers- FWW". Such a strange concept to lock your dogs up all winter when there is so much to do during the winter with the proper attire, they are missing out huge.

While keeping your dog fit in the winter protect your pup from the dangers of the elements; and to all of the FWW I will see you in the spring!

No comments: